The Department of Chemistry at the University of Illinois
Application for REU Positions
The Department of Chemistry is now accepting applications for the Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates program, which is supported by the U.S. National Science Foundation and the 3M Foundation. Please read the information on this page, then click here to apply.
Undergraduates planning to obtain Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degrees in chemistry or related fields between January 1, 2015 and August 31, 2016 are encouraged to apply to participate in summer research within the Department of Chemistry. Opportunities are available in all areas of chemistry: analytical, chemical biology, inorganic, materials, organic, physical, and theoretical. Applications completed by 11:59 PM, February 14, 2014 will be given full consideration. We particularly encourage students who do not have prior research experience or who are members of groups under-represented in the chemical sciences to apply.
The program will run from Tuesday, May 27, 2014 to Friday, August 1, 2014. If a student's spring semester ends later than May 27, a late start to the program is possible and will not disqualify the applicant.
The online form asks for contact information. After submitting the form, expect to receive an automated response within 24 hours requesting additional information. Emails are sent daily at 4:00 PM. The application form is based on the one used for graduate admissions and therefore requests additional information not required for REU consideration. Therefore, please follow the modified instructions below:
- Please do not use the first menu choice "Provide supplemental information (references, etc.)" because we have already obtained this information.
- The REU admissions committee knows that this is an application for summer research and not for graduate admissions.
- TWO letters of reference are required, not three. Please enter contact information for your two references. Requests for these letters will be sent automatically.
- The personal statement should explain the reasons for your interest in summer research. The application form has a drop-down list that requires you to select at least one faculty member with whom you'd like to work. Additional drop-downs allow selection of up to two more members (please see the UIUC Chemistry website for information on each research group). Your personal statement should explain how your interests and those of the faculty you've selected relate to each other. Assignments to research groups will depend on mutual interest of students and faculty.
- You will receive an automated email confirmation when your file is complete. The wording is designed for our regular job applicants, so please disregard any irrelevant phrasing.
- No standardized test results are required. A PDF copy of your transcript is adequate. When asked for your GPA, an estimate as of the end of the prior semester is adequate.
For more information or if you have any questions, please contact one of the following REU committee members:
- Alexander Scheeline, REU Director (Research Areas: general, theoretical; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Alison Fout (Research Areas: inorganic, chemical biology; Email: email@example.com)
- Kami Hull (Research Areas: organic, chemical biology; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Prashant Jain (Research Areas: physical, materials; Email: email@example.com)
- Richard Perry (Research Areas: analytical, physical; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Joaquin Rodriguez-Lopez (Research Areas: analytical, materials; Email: email@example.com)
- Joshua Vura-Weis (Research Areas: physical, theoretical; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)