Group Mission Statement
We pursue research in soft materials, biological imaging, and nanoscale systems using new methods in molecular engineering. Our research often relies on single molecule observations of polymers and proteins, and we aim to discover new physical and biological phenomena at the molecular level. Learn more.
– Professor Schroeder has received an Engineering Council Award for Excellence in Advising. Congrats to Charles!
– Charles Schroeder has been named a Beckman Fellow in the Center for Advanced Study for 2014-15 at the University of Illinois. Congrats to Charles! Read more.
– Charles Schroeder has received a 2013 NSF CAREER Award for his work entitled "Molecular Rheology of Architecturally Complex Polymers”. Congratulations to Charles! Read more.
– Charles Schroeder has received the 2013 Dean’s Award for Excellence in Research from the College of Engineering! Congrats to Charles! Read more.
– Charles Schroeder has been named as the recipient of a Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award for 2013. Congrats to Charles! Read more.
– Luke was awarded second place for his talk in the 10th Illinois Biophysics Symposium. Luke also won a travel grant from the Center for the Physics of Living Cells and the Center for Biophysics and Computational Biology! Congrats to Luke!
– Anish has been awarded the FMC Fellowship for graduate study during 2014-2015. Congrats to Anish!
– Arnab successfully completed his final defense, titled "New Directions in Biological Imaging: Engineering & Discovery of LOV-based Fluorescent Proteins." His has been awarded the James Boswell Postdoctoral Fellowship in Molecular Engineering and Magnetic Resonance Imaging to pursue future research with Mikhail Shapiro at the California Institute of Technology. Congratulations to Arnab!
– Eric successfully completed his final defense, titled "Automated Hydrodynamic Trap for Single Cell Analysis in Free Solution." Congratulations to Eric!
– Folarin successfully completed his final defense, titled "Work Relations for Single Polymer Rheology." His future plans include a postdoctoral research position with Pablo G. Debenedetti at Princeton University. Congratulations to Folarin!
Our recent manuscript entitled "Nonequilibrium Work Relations for Polymer Dynamics in Dilute Solutions" has been published in Macromolecules. Congrats to Folarin!
Our recent review entitled "Zooming In on Biological Processes with Fluorescence Nanoscopy" has been published in Current Opinion on Biotechnology and featured on the cover! Congrats to Utsav and Dan!