– Chris has been awarded a fellowship from the Dow Chemical Company for Fall 2013. Congrats to Chris!
– Kaiwen has been awarded a fellowship from the Dow Chemical Company for 2013-2014. Congrats to Kaiwen!
– Arnab is one of five students on the University of Illinois Campus to be selected to attend the Global Young Scientist Summit in Singapore. Congrats to Arnab!
– Abiodun Fatai Oki has joined the group from Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering. Welcome to Oki!
– Folarin has been awarded a CSE Fellowship (Computational Science and Engineering) for 2013-2014. Congrats to Folarin!
– Arnab has been awarded a Dissertation Completion Fellowship from the Graduate College for 2013-2014. Congrats to Arnab!
– Amanda and Utsav have successfully passed their Preliminary Exam. Congrats to Amanda and Utsav!
– Kai-wen successfully passed the oral qualifying exam in chemical engineering. Congrats to Kai-wen!
– Charles Schroeder has been named as the recipient of a Camille Dreyfus Teacher-Scholar Award for 2013. Congrats to Charles!
– Utsav has been awarded the FMC Fellowship for graduate study during 2013-2014. Congrats to Utsav! Read more.
– Our recent manuscript entitled "Dendrimer Probes for Enhanced Photostability and Localization in Fluorescence Imaging" has been published in Biophysical Journal. Congrats to Young and Melikhan! Read more.
– Danielle has been awarded a 2013 NSF Graduate Research Fellowship. Congrats to Danielle! Read more.
– Charles Schroeder has received the 2013 Dean’s Award for Excellence in Research from the College of Engineering! Congrats to Charles! Read more.
– Eric has received a Travel Award from the Graduate College to attend the BPS meeting in Februrary where he will present his poster entitled "Single Cell Microbioreactor for Observing Dynamic Gene Expression and Cell Response to Environment in Bacteria". Congrats to Eric!
– Charles Schroeder has received a 2013 NSF CAREER Award for his work entitled "Molecular Rheology of Architecturally Complex Polymers”. Congratulations to Charles! Read more.
– Folarin has received a Spring 2013 Hanratty Travel Award to support his travel to the Society of Rheology Meeting, where Folarin will present his work in a talk entitled "Extracting Fundamental Materials Properties from Rheological Measurements". Congrats to Folarin!
– Arnab won the Best poster award, known as the Biotechnology Journal Award, and the 4th International Conference on Biomolecular Engineering, Fort Lauderdale, FL for his poster entitled "Development of Flavin-based Fluorescent Proteins for Biological Imaging". Congrats to Arnab!
– Arnab won 2nd place for his poster entitled "Understanding and Improving Flavin-Based Fluorescent Proteins for Biological Imaging" for the Catherine Connor Outstanding Dissertation in Biotechnology Award at the University of Illinois. Congrats to Arnab! Click here for more details on the award.
– Charles Schroeder has been invited to be the Meeting Programming Chair (MPC) for Area 1J at the 2014 American Institute of Chemical Engineers Meeting.
– Chris won an award at the AIChE meeting (Runner up) for Best Poster in the Area 1J poster session (Engineering Sciences & Fundamentals: Fluid Mechanics). Congrats to Chris! Read more.
– Amanda received a Travel Award from the Graduate College to attend the MRS meeting in November, where she will present her poster entitled "Template-directed Synthesis and Hierarchical Assembly of Nucleotidomimetic Polymers". Congrats to Amanda!
– Folarin received a Travel Award from the Graduate College to attend the AIChE meeting, where he gave a presentation on his work entitled "Determining Fundamental Materials Properties from Rheological Measurements". Congrats to Folarin!
– Arnab, Utsav, Chris, and Folarin all did an excellent job on their recent presentations at the AIChE meeting.
– Our recent manuscript entitled "Directed evolution of bright mutants of an oxygen-independent flavin-binding fluorescent protein from Pseudomonas putida" has been published in the Journal of Biological Engineering. Congrats to Arnab, Kevin, and Josh!
– Luke Cuculis has joined the group from the Department of Chemistry. Welcome to Luke!
– Kai-Wen Hsiao has joined the group from Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering. Welcome to Kai-Wen!
– Our recent manuscript "Microfluidic systems for single DNA dynamics" was among the top ten articles accessed from the online version of Soft Matter during July!
– Our JoVE article "A Microfluidic-based Hydrodynamic Trap for Single Particles" has received over 13,000 views!
– Our manuscript entitled "Specific Labeling of Zinc Finger Proteins using Non-canonical Amino Acids and Copper-free Click Chemistry" has been accepted to Bioconjugate Chemistry!
– Eric has been named as a Finalist in the 2012 SCS Science Image Challenge. Nice work Eric!
– Chris has been awarded a fellowship from the Dow Chemical Company for 2012-2013. Congrats to Chris!
– Charles Schroeder has been invited to participate in the National Academy of Engineering's 2012 Frontiers of Engineering Symposium, which will be held in September 2012. Charles will be one of only 100 engineers from industry, academia, and government labs to discuss recent advances and the frontiers in the engineering profession.
– Folarin, Chris, Eric and Arnab have successfully passed their prelim exams. Congrats!
– Folarin has been awarded a fellowship from the Computational Science and Engineering (CSE) program for graduate study for 2012-2013. Congrats to Folarin!
– Charles Schroeder received the 2012 Arthur B. Metzner Early Career Award from the Society of Rheology. Read more.
– Arnab was awarded the FMC Technologies Fellowship for Graduate Study for 2012-2013. Congrats to Arnab!
– Kevin Weyant won 3rd prize for his poster presentation at the Undergraduate Award Ceremony on April 20, 2012. Congrats to Kevin!
– Arnab and Utsav won 2nd and 3rd place for their posters at the Institute of Biological Engineering (IBE) meeting in Indianapolis, IN on Saturday, March 3rd. Congrats to Arnab and Utsav!
– Arnab and Utsav have been honored with Hanratty Travel Awards to participate in the Institute of Biological Engineering (IBE) meeting in early March. Congrats to Arnab and Utsav!
– Melikhan won 3rd prize for NNIN/C Nano Competition:
Melikhan has been selected as a 3rd prize winner for a Modeling and Simulation contest held by the National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network (NNIN/C). Melikhan submitted his work based on developing a model for confinement and trapping of nanoparticles using the hydrodynamic trap. This was a nation-wide contest open to researchers in the field of nanoscience. Congrats to Melikhan!
– Danielle has successfully passed the written portion of the Qualification Exams for graduate studies in Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering. Congrats to Danielle!
– Amanda receives rave teaching reviews : Based on course feedback from faculty members in MCB 250, Amanda received "top-notch" reviews from the teaching faculty, who cited her "very creative" teaching techniques and strong dedication to excellent teaching in the course. Congrats to Amanda!
– Chris and Folarin have been named as "Dow Chemical Company Fellows in Chemical Engineering". Dow Chemical Company has provided a few graduate student fellowships for Illinois ChBE, and they were awarded through a competitive nomination/selection process in our department. The fellowships are intended to fund chemical engineering graduate students pursuing traditional research in Chemical Engineering.
– Eric has received a Travel Award to the 2012 Biophysical Society Meeting. Congrats to Eric!
– Charles Schroeder has been awarded a 2011 Packard
Fellowship in Science and Engineering.
Click to read more.
– The Schroeder group presented multiple oral presentations at the annual American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) conference in Minneapolis, MN. Great job to Melikhan, Young, Chris, Folarin and Arnab!
– The Schroeder group presented several oral presentations at the annual Society of Rheology (SOR) conference in Cleveland, OH. Great job to Chris and Folarin!
– Danielle Mai has joined the Schroeder group as a first year graduate student in Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering! Welcome Danielle!
– Parul was awarded a scholarship from the American Society of Engineers of Indian Origin Southern California Chapter! Congrats to Parul!
– Chris and Folarin's recent manuscripts have been identified as 'hot articles' in Soft Matter!
– Our manuscript entitled "Direct Observation of Single Flexible Polymers using Single Stranded DNA" has been published in Soft Matter. Congrats to Chris Brockman and Sun Ju Kim!
– Our manuscript entitled "Model Systems for Single Molecule Polymer Dynamics" has been published in Soft Matter. Congrats to Folarin Latinwo!
– Kathryn Trenshaw was accepted into the Chemistry–Biology Interface Training Program and the Mavis Future Faculty Fellows Program starting in Fall of 2011! Congrats to Kathryn!
– Eric and Kathryn participated in a K–12 Science Educators (iRISE) summer teacher workshop with the Illinois Researchers program by developing and demonstrating a biofuels lesson for 25 middle school science teachers. Their presentation was based on a lesson developed by Kathryn and Amanda as part of the iRISE Science Education course during 2011 Spring semester.
– Eric hosted 50 high school students from IDEA Frontier College Prep in Brownsville, TX as part of their visit to the University of Illinois campus. During their visit, he conducted lab tours and demonstrated hydrodynamic trapping of live bacterial cells developed in the Schroeder lab.
– Kathryn Trenshaw received an NSF Graduate Fellowship Honorable Mention. Congrats to Kathryn!
– Amanda Marciel received an NSF Graduate Fellowship Honorable Mention and Ford Foundation Fellowship Honorable Mention. Congrats to Amanda!
– Kevin & Cassie presented posters for ISUR program!
– Mikhil Ranka received Third Place Prize in the ChBE Undergraduate Research Symposium at the University of Illinois. Congrats to Mikhil!
– Mikhil Ranka will be entering the Ph.D. program in Chemical Engineering at MIT in Fall 2012. Congrats to Mikhil!
– Nathan Yee was awarded an NSF Graduate Fellowship! Congrats to Nathan!
– Nathan Yee will be entering the Ph.D. program in Chemical Engineering at MIT in Fall 2011. Congrats to Nathan!
– Nathan and Peiyi presented their undergraduate research on expressing and purifying modular zinc finger proteins at the University of Illinois Undergraduate Research Symposium.
– Parul is heading off to Chevron Corporation for a summer internship. Congrats to Parul!
– Dean is heading off to Unilever for a summer internship. Congrats to Dean!
– Younghoon Kim presented his recent work on site–specific labeling of zinc finger proteins using non–natural amino acids at the American Chemical Society meeting in Anaheim, CA
– Melikhan Tanyeri presented our recent work with Younghoon on dye–conjugated dendrimers as bright and photostable nanoimaging probes at the Biophysical Society meeting in Baltimore.
– Melikhan Tanyeri presented his recent work on 2–D nanoparticle trapping at the Biophysical Society meeting in Baltimore. He also presented Eric and Utsav's recent work on live cell analysis using a single cell microbioreactor.
– Our video publication on the hydrodynamic trap has been published in the Journal of Visualized Experiments(JoVE). Congrats to Eric and Melikhan!
– Arnab was nominated for an HHMI Graduate Student Fellowship. Good luck to Arnab!
– Our recent article in Applied Physics Letters has been selected for the June 14, 2010 issue of Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology
– Melikhan won a Best Talk Award for his oral presentation at the 8th Annual Biophysics and Computational Biology Symposium on campus.
– Utsav and Kathryn successfully passed the ChBE oral qualifying exams. Congratulations!
– Amanda successfully passed the Biophysics qualifying exams. Congratulations!
– Melikhan presented a poster on the hydrodynamic trap at Bioengineering @ Illinois Day.
– Eric has been awarded an NSF Graduate Fellowship. Congratulations to Eric!
– Kathryn was awarded an Honorable Mention for the NSF Graduate Fellowship. Congratulations to Kathryn!
– Professor Schroeder has appeared in a recent publication on successfully managing career development by the Burroughs Wellcome Fund entitled “Moving On: Managing Career Transitions”.
– Melikhan gave a talk on our hydrodynamic trap at the American Physical Society March Meeting in Portland, OR.
– Melikhan gave a poster presentation on our hydrodynamic trap at the Biophysical Society Meeting in San Francisco, CA.
– Utsav and Kathryn successfully passed their written qualifying exams. Congratulations!
– Amanda Marciel (Biophysics), Utsav Agrawal (ChBE), Folarin Latinwo (ChBE) and Kathryn Trenshaw (ChBE) joined the Schroeder group. Welcome to all new graduate students in the group!
– Prof. Schroeder gave a poster presentation on our hydrodynamic trap at the Institute for Mathematics and Its Applications at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, MN.
– Prof. Schroeder gave a department seminar on polymer dynamics at the single molecule level at the New Jersey Institute of Technology.
– Prof. Schroeder gave a talk on our hydrodynamic trap at the American Institute of Chemical Engineers Annual Meeting in Nashville, TN.
– Prof. Schroeder has appeared in an interview in Genome Technology Magazine regarding his NIH Pathway to Independence Award (K99/R00) and how to get data before securing the first R01 funding.
– Sun Ju, Chris and Arnab successfully passed their oral qualifying exams. Congratulations!
– Sun Ju, Chris and Arnab successfully passed their written qualifying exams. Congratulations!
– Eric M. Johnson–Chavarria has joined the group as part of the Biophysics program. Welcome Eric!
– Dr. Younghoon Kim has joined the Schroeder group after finishing his Ph.D. with Prof. Dennis Discher at the University of Pennsylvania. Welcome to the group Young!
– Prof. Schroeder has appeared in the List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent for the Fall semester 2008 for his Polymer Science & Engineering course (ChBE 456/594).
– Sun Ju Kim, Christopher Brockman and Arnab Mukherjee join the Schroeder group. Welcome to the new group members!
– Prof. Schroeder gives seminars the Center for the Physics of Living Cells and the Department of Biochemistry on campus.
– Dr. Melikhan Tanyeri joins the group after a postdoc with Prof. Paul Selvin in the Department of Physics at the University of Illinois. Welcome!